The Environmental Health Behaviour (EnviHeB) Lab is a multidisciplinary team headquartered at ISAMB. Resident researchers are psychologists, nutritionists, biologists, science communication experts and statisticians, conducting research focused on the promotion of human behaviour and habits that enhance health, including adequate chronic disease self-management, and/or that protect/promote sustainable physical, chemical, biological, psychosocial and/or built environments.
A. to create and systematize evidence about prevalence, determinants and effects of health- and environmental-related behaviours/habits
B. to identify determinants of behavioural/habitudinal transition(s) from pathogenic to salutogenic behaviours/habits and vice-versa
C. to develop and assess the impact of environmental contexts on health-related behaviours
Special focus are given to digital environments and to health care environments. Patient safety, patient-clinician relationship/communication and therapeutic adherence are key objects of study, in this Lab.
The underlying paradigm of the Lab is the Planetary Health, which means that human-animals and human-multilayer-environment interconnections are studied with a focus on sustainable health-promoting environments.
Lab coordinator: Osvaldo Santos
Team members: Ana Virgolino • João Fernandes • Joana Costa • Miodraga Stefanovska-Petkovska • Mónica Fialho • Paulo Navarro-Costa • Ricardo R. Santos • Rodrigo Santos • Violeta Alarcão
1. Alarcão, V., Madeira, T., Peixoto-Plácido, C., Sousa-Santos, N., Fernandes, E., Nicola, P., … Gorjão-Clara, J. (2018). Gender differences in psychosocial determinants of self-perceived health among Portuguese older adults in nursing homes. Aging & Mental Health, May 23, 1–8.
2. Fernandes, S. G., Rodrigues, A. M., Nunes, C., Santos, O., Gregório, M. J., de Sousa, R. D., … Canhão, H. (2018). Food insecurity in older adults: Results from the epidemiology of chronic diseases cohort study 3. Frontiers in Medicine, 5, 203.
3. Madeira, T., do Carmo, I., Bicha Castelo, H., & Santos, O. (2018). Self-regulation of weight after sleeve gastrectomy. Behavior Modification, 42(2), 231–248.
4. Madeira, T., Peixoto-Plácido, C., Sousa-Santos, N., Santos, O., Alarcão, V., Goulão, B., … Gorjão Clara, J. (2018). Malnutrition among older adults living in Portuguese nursing homes: the PEN-3S study. Public Health Nutrition, 15, 1–12.
5. Roxo, L., Virgolino, A., Costa, J., & Alarcão, V. (2018). Understanding the relationship between BMI and sexual dysfunction: Can DSM-5 shed light into this topic? Revista Internacional de Andrología.
6. Santos, O., Lopes, E., Virgolino, A., Stefanovska-Petkovska, M., Dinis, A., Ambrósio, S., & Heitor, M. J. (2018). Defining a brief intervention for the promotion of psychological well-being among unemployed individuals through expert consensus. Frontiers in Psychiatry, 9, 13.