The overall aim of RG 1 – Environment, Family Health and Society is to study the interactions between the physical/social environment and health at family/community levels and, on this basis, to develop new preventive approaches throughout life. In this context, it is structured around three main research lines: a) healthy and active ageing and care systems fit, b) climate change & environmental pollutants, and c) family health in the primary healthcare context.
The family health topics focused on: 1) the use of health technology tools for empowering people in the management of health and disease control – to develop/evaluate new health informatics tools for self-control and self-assessment of chronic diseases; 2) proper use of chronic drug therapy and prescription quality at primary care level (development/validation of indicators), reduction of inappropriate medication use (benzodiazepines in vulnerable elderly). In the ageing domain, the focus has been on: 1) senior health tourism – to ensure the safety of the elderly tourist in a foreign environment, especially in the case of chronic disease/acute illness; 2) health check-up in the elderly – to develop a plan for routine check-up in the elderly screening for frailty/diseases, to be applied in large scale as exists for younger age groups. The climate change & environmental pollutants focused on: 1) develop models to predict mortality/morbidity related to various types of weather events (heat waves and cold spells), population groups and diseases; 2) study the health impact of exposure to waste incineration pollutants (a controlled longitudinal analysis).
Group leader: Andreia Cátia Jorge Silva da Costa
Team members: Ana Cristina Marques Miranda • Ana Sofia Baptista Duque • Ana Sofia Pereira dos Santos • Ana Teresa Pinto Santos Nunes Madeira Sarmento • Filipa Raquel Ferreira Brito • João Pedro Pereira Gorjão Clara • Jorge Manuel Alexandre Marques • José Manuel Domingos Pereira Miguel • Leonor Bacelar Valente da Costa Nicolau • Liliane Isabel Ribeiro Morais • Luís Ângelo Saboga-Nunes • Maria Adriana Pereira Henriques • Maria Isabel de Sousa Rocha • Maria Helena Bacelar Valente da Costa Nicolau • Maria João Heitor Marques dos Santos Leal da Costa • Matilde de Araújo e Sá Valente Rosa • Milene Catarina Coelho Fernandes • Marco Valério Santos Ribeiro Narciso • Marco Alberto Vicente Barreto Torrado • Paulo Alexandre Navarro Costa • Paulo Jorge da Silva Nogueira • Paulo Jorge de Morais Zamith Nicola • Patrícia Vanessa Almeida Lindeza • Ricardo Filipe Barreiros Mexia • Rita Sofia Cardoso Domingues • Sílvia Maria Luís Antunes • Tarsila Lampert • Violeta Sabina Niego Perestrelo de Alarcão • António Vaz Carneiro
1. Alarcão, V., Madeira, T., Peixoto-Plácido, C., Sousa-Santos, N., Fernandes, E., Nicola, P., … Gorjão-Clara, J. (2018). Gender differences in psychosocial determinants of self-perceived health among Portuguese older adults in nursing homes. Aging & Mental Health, May 23, 1–8.
2. Almada, A., Casquinha, P., Cotovio, V., Heitor dos Santos, M., & Caixeiro, A. (2018). The potential role of psychosocial rehabilitation in palliative care. Journal of the Royal College of Physicians of Edinburgh, 48(4), 311–317.
3. Bacelar-Nicolau, L., Rodrigues, T., Fernandes, E., Lobo, M. F., Nisa, C. F., Azzone, V., … Pereira Miguel, J. (2018). Picturing inequities for health impact assessment: linked electronic records, mortality and regional disparities in Portugal. Impact Assessment and Project Appraisal, 36(1), 90–104.
4. Costa, T., Lopes, E., Alarcão, V., Nogueira, P., & Carreira, M. (2018). Estudo SAIMI – Hábitos de escovagem dentária em crianças e adolescentes imigrantes do subcontinente indiano em Lisboa. Revista Portuguesa de Estomatologia, Medicina Dentária e Cirurgia Maxilofacial, 59(2), 80–86.
5. Heitor dos Santos, M. J., Moreira, S., Carreiras, J., Cooper, C., Smeed, M., Reis, M. F., & Pereira Miguel, J. (2018). Portuguese version of a stress and well-being evaluation tool (ASSET)at the workplace: validation of the psychometric properties. BMJ Open, 8(2), e018401.
6. Madeira, T., do Carmo, I., Bicha Castelo, H., & Santos, O. (2018). Self-regulation of weight after sleeve gastrectomy. Behavior Modification, 42(2), 231–248.
7. Madeira, T., Peixoto-Plácido, C., Sousa-Santos, N., Santos, O., Alarcão, V., Goulão, B., … Gorjão Clara, J. (2018). Malnutrition among older adults living in Portuguese nursing homes: the PEN-3S study. Public Health Nutrition, 15, 1–12.
8. Navarro-Costa, P. (2018). A (micro)environmental perspective on the evolution of female reproductive aging. Journal of Assisted Reproduction and Genetics, 35(12), 2129–2131.
9. Roxo, L., Virgolino, A., Costa, J., & Alarcão, V. (2018). Understanding the relationship between BMI and sexual dysfunction: Can DSM-5 shed light into this topic? Revista Internacional de Andrología.
10. Okan, O., Lopes, E., Bollweg, T. M., Bröder, J., Messer, M., Bruland, D., … Pinheiro, P. (2018). Generic health literacy measurement instruments for children and adolescents: A systematic review of the literature. BMC Public Health, 18(1), 166.
11. Staats, R., Rodrigues, R., Barros, A., Bacelar-Nicolau, L., Aguiar, M., Fernandes, D., … Moita, L. F. (2018). Decrease of perforin positive CD3+γδ-T cells in patients with obstructive sleep disordered breathing. Sleep and Breathing, 22(1), 211–221.